Monday, August 14, 2006

Scarlet Shiners, Courtesy Of Phil Kukulski

Phil Kukulski from Michigan updated me on the scarlet shiners he collected near Athens, AL, last winter. That trip was a major adventure for cold, falling in water, etc., but he survived. The scarlets that he has raised have spawned in the last several weeks. Below is a photo from that tank, with a male in breeding coloration in the foreground:

Below is a photo of some the newly hatched fry he found in his tank. I realize that I've never seen scarlet shiner fry before. They look like other newly hatched cyprinids, of course. But it's still interesting just because now I can say I've seen these fry. Phil's breeding tank set-up was very simple, a 10 gallon tank with a powerhead trained on a pile of small stones in the middle.


I've heard rumor of some researchers from Ohio, I think, starting a research project on scarlet shiner life history. But it would be an interesting project in north 'bama, since most local creeks are loaded with them. And thanks Phil for sending the photos... they are copyright Phil Kukulski, of course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home