Monday, November 10, 2008

Telescope Shiner Brain Size, Preliminary Data

I had a chance today to sit down and fool around with our raw data from measuring the brains of telescope shiners from Hurricane Creek captured in June, 2007, at the Walls of Jericho. The one relationship I think I've nailed is brain mass/body mass, i.e. how big is the brain as a fraction of body weight. Using a t-test to compare 10 males to 10 females, relative male brain size is significantly larger with P<0.001, a very significant difference. This is the same basic relationship we've found with scarlet shiners. But male telescopes aren't brightly colored like scarlets, and females are larger than males. There is evidence that specific brain regions like the optic tectum are also larger in males than females, but I don't have the numbers to ice it. We're on to something, but I'm still not sure what(!). I'll certainly keep you posted.

1 Comments:

At 1:13 PM, Blogger Andrew Adrian said...

So just how much smarter are the men over the females?
On a serious note, I'll be in your lab Wednesday at noon for a brain dissecting tutorial before our meeting Thursday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home