Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Fundulus bifax DNA Dropped Off For Sequencing

This afternoon I dropped off our first 15 purified DNA samples to be sequenced at a new company near UAH, IXG (IExpression Genes). I should know by tomorrow how it worked. Meanwhile, I've been working with the Geneious program we have to edit and align some cyt-b DNA sequences from Fundulus similis and F. majalis that I've had for a few years as part of my slow-moving project to examine population structure and differences (if any) between the two species. Two of my sequences from Dauphin Island, AL, are good, as are at least three from Key West, FL (thanks to Todd Crail some years ago for the fish). I'm edging closer to being a gene jockey.

On Friday we go out for the last driftnetting session for Brittany's project. We started it last July, but missed the February collection due to the shooting. Ruth is working on the finishing touches of a second driftnet as part of our effort to make a few working prototypes, and maybe sell them later. I know that everyone needs a driftnet in the current economy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home