Tuesday, May 09, 2006

A Flame Chub Sketch (I Had To Share It)

My wife Ruth was hanging out in my office yesterday while I was talking to a student. She sat down next to several jars of recently preserved fish I've collected this spring, and by chance did a quick sketch in her journal of the most recent flame chub I found. This flame chub came from the uppermost reaches of Little Piney Creek in Thach, Limestone county, AL.

I like this sketch because it's an accurate, if loose, view of this fish in a jar with my pencilled label inside the jar with the binomial and location information visible. Any flame chubs I find and keep as vouchers I put in ethanol so that DNA could be easily extracted from them if someone is up for such a study; anyone?

1 Comments:

At 7:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bruce:

You store your specimens nose down!?!

I thought the first rule of storage was "tail down", so no key taxonomic characters are placed at risk of damage.

Steve Haslouer, Topeka

 

Post a Comment

<< Home