Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The New NANFA Forum

There's a new on-line Forum operated by NANFA, the North American Native Fishes Association. You can visit it at http://forum.nanfa.org/. Registration is free, and makes it much more interesting. A variety of topics are running simultaneously, such as Fish Collecting Trip Reports, or Shiners and Suckers.

Speaking of shiners, I've got to get a decent photo of my display tank in one of our teaching labs. The ~20 scarlet shiners who are most of the inhabitants are looking better and better. I've been feeding them two cubes of frozen brine shrimp every other day for two weeks and it's had a noticeable effect on pumping up their color and making them sleek, plump fish which of course is a good thing....

My next big fish expedition will hopefully be on Saturday, February 3, to Hurricane Creek at the Walls of Jericho primarily to collect adult telescope shiners. I'm already scheming and hoping on getting at least one 4WD truck for the trip, besides maybe enticing Nick to help drive in again. I'll pursue various (polite) options to get this in gear. I have about 5 students signed up to do research for credit with me next semester, so I hope this'll work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home