Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Enrique Will Be Going To The Neuroscience Meeting In San Diego

We officially decided this morning that Enrique will go to the Society for Neuroscience's meeting in San Diego in November to present a talk on our scarlet shiner brain research. It's kind of a goof for me because I never would have thought I'd be co-author of a submission to that meeting, which is huge with thousands of attendees. But it's also good for Enrique as a Masters student to have that kind of presentation on his CV. I'll be third of four authors, with Enrique first and my colleague Amy Bishop last as supervising author. I guess it would be an even bigger goof to go to the meeting, but I don't think I have the money to pull it off.

But I will be going to the Joint Meeting of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists in St. Louis in July. I heard last week that both of my submissions have been accepted. I'll be doing a talk on what I've found with flame chub distribution in north 'bama, and Christian will be the lead presenter of a poster on seasonal gill parasite load in scarlet and striped shiners in two local creeks. Ruth will be going too. The site of the meeting is the Hyatt Regency Hotel in St. Louis, built up from the old railroad station downtown. It's supposed to be an amazing view inside of the original station with the modern hotel rising from it. It's just the kind of upscale tourist thing that we need.

Three of the students on the telescope shiner project are continuing with it this summer for credit. Our "final exam" for the spring will be a trip to the Walls of Jericho on Saturday, May 5, for the monthly collection of fish. For once I hope it will be a warm day there, we've picked strangely cold days for the first trips. I look forward to wading in the creek with only wading shoes and shorts rather than waders!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home