Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Correction For The Lythrurus Shiner In Hillabee Creek

In my last post I mentioned that I thought we had found ribbon shiners in Hillabee Creek. I suspected that was a very loose ID, and now I realize that what we found were actually pretty shiners, Lythrurus bellus. This is what happens when I get outside of the Tennessee drainage, and down into the Mobile drainage. I also corrected another mis-identification; the one darter that we found in Hillabee Creek I called blueside, when of course it was a speckled. Both have blue blotches on the side, but the speckleds have more of a turquoise color. Again, this was going on autopilot for Tennessee vs. Mobile drainage. If I was up in Sipsey Fork, I would have immediately said speckled, but that didn't happen over in the Tallapoosa drainage. Oh well...

And I hope everyone's having a good Mardi Gras, and voted for whom I voted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home