Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Preliminary Measurements Of The 11-KT Scarlet Shiners

I measured the standard length and weighed all of the scarlet shiners from the 11-KT experiment. There is no apparent pattern in length; the averages for all three groups, high, lower and control, are about 42 mm. The weights are possibly interesting, though. The highest average weight is the high 11-KT group, followed in order by the lower 11-KT and control groups. This might be a believable effect, since androgens like 11-KT stimulate muscle bulk among other things. But with such a small sample size I'm not certain of this, merely intrigued. I'm leaving brain dissections until the students come back in early January since I think they're better at it for now than I am(!), and we have little margin for error by doing bad dissections.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home