Monday, June 15, 2009

Back To The Telescope Shiners Manuscript

Starting last Thursday I was able to focus more and more on the telescope shiners reproduction timing manuscript. I've come to the realization that the reviewers/editors didn't really reject the manuscript as much as reject it in its current form, partially because the editor's letter talks about "if you want to submit revisions" do it in such & such a way. So I'm incorporating various suggestions which truly improve the manuscript. You really have to step back from your ego in this kind of work.

Tomorrow we'll spend the whole day setting up and running western blots to assay NMDA quantities in telescope and scarlet shiner brains from last fall. Stephanie in the Bishop lab will be our host. The big challenge for me is to dig out our brain preps from one of the big -80 C freezers.

I started a discussion on the NANFA Forum about silver shiners, Notropis photogenis. Don Cloutman at Bemidji State in MN asked if we could get a few for him locally for gill fluke examination, and I realize that the species may well be extirpated from north 'bama. Either way we can probably find some nearby in Tennessee, going out with Dave Neely and/or Casper Cox. I think it's the ultimate "shiny shiner" species. At least I know where to find highland shiners for the same project over in Lauderdale County.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home