Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Holidays In Slow Motion

I still haven't heard back from the editor at NeuroReport, which doesn't surprise me this time of year. Things have been slow with me too. But I did spend much of the day today doing more re-ordering of my office. I've broken down my old computer, with CRT, and I'm going with a laptop instead. Along with moving out my old, old printer that only works as a scanner(!), my desk is hugely cleared off which is a good thing. With the laptop as my primary computer, everything is portable; all I need is a wifi system at home for easy access.

This all makes it possible for me to finally work on revising the black darter paper for Southeastern Naturalist. I spent two hours on it today, and it's not as bad as I originally thought from looking at reviewer comments. The editor and one anonymous reviewer were both rightfully taken aback by the manuscript's length, which I knew was a problem. But their suggestions are on the money for pruning it back. The one factual misstatement, in the second paragraph of the manuscript, was in saying that the black darter is "probably" in Mississippi when, if fact, Ross states in his book Inland Fishes of Mississippi that the species is in the NE corner of the state. I based my range statement on Etnier's Tennessee book from 1993, so I'm happy to correct it. That was an easy fix... other edits will be more involved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home