Sunday, October 03, 2010

I Guess We'll Driftnet The Flint

Jeremy in my lab is now motivated to start a driftnetting project on the Flint River at Winchester Road. We have two functional driftnets, and if need be we could have more made (if Ruth will humor us). To me it's a great idea, so that we can compare it to Estill Fork data collected by Brittany. I would expect the two rivers to be pretty similar, but I guess that's like saying the same but different. We should start sometime later this week since the new moon is on Thursday (when drift organisms are more mobile, in the dark of the moon).

I received a new camera on Friday. I ordered a Pentax Optio W90, which is rated waterproof to 20 feet and shockproof to 4 feet. At the least I'll stop worrying about dropping my camera into the creek on trips, and I'd like to try some underwater photography. It's a small camera with 12 megapixels, a 5X zoom and a rechargeable battery. The package includes a strap with a carabineer for hooking onto a pack or whatever seems good for securing the camera. I'm psyched, it was rated "Gear of the Year 2010" by Outdoor Magazine which hopefully means something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home