Thursday, August 19, 2010

Fish Coming & Going

The blacknosed dace that I sent to Wesleyan arrived in good condition last week, so I'm grateful for that. I still have to re-install Google Earth on my laptop so that I can confirm GPS coordinates they calculated for the collections I sent via a .kmz file.

And the fish coming to me are from Tony Terceira in Rhode Island. He sent me about a half dozen each of Fundulus diaphanus, F. majalis and F. heteroclitus from several sites in RI and Cape Cod, all preserved in ethanol. Especially the majalis is of immediate interest to me for the ongoing majalis/similis study.

Some new students in my lab are gung ho to go forward with extracting DNA, and I showed one of them how to do that today with a similis from St. Joe Beach in peninsular Florida. Even more immediate(!) we have to reextract DNA from our F. bifax collection for sequencing at IXG. It's real biology, I'm happy to be doing it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home