Wednesday, July 07, 2010

On To ASIH In Providence

I'm flying out to Providence, RI, tomorrow morning for this year's American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists meeting. It's always good to be with a bunch of other people who think that mucking around for fish or frogs is fun. I'm doing a talk on gill fluke infections in Telescope Shiners at 3 on Friday afternoon at the Fish Life History session which I'll be moderating.

Yesterday I inventoried my Fundulus majalis and F. similis ethanol preserved fish collections. I want to move on with this DNA thing, although I'm still not sure exactly how I'll pay for it. I have plenty of majalis from Charleston, SC, to re-extract, a single fish from Nantucket, and several small individuals from Cuttyhunk Island off of Woods Hole, MA. And I have a lot of similis from St. Joe Beach on the Florida panhandle. The DNA extraction is time-consuming but easy, then I have to get them PCR'd and sequenced. And, I also have to do this for the bifax I have which in truth is a higher priority. Luckily I still have a lot of phenol-chloroform-isoamyl alcohol blend at hand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home