Thursday, January 13, 2011

Sculpture Follow-Up

I found out the artist and name of the "minnow trap" sculpture in front of the Shelby Center. The artist is Michael Cottrell from Jacksonville State College in Florida, and the sculpture is titled, "Valence". I wrote him and told my impressions, which I think favorably impressed him. His response to me is below:

"Bruce,
Thanks for your kind words. We thought the piece might be well suited to the science building, and I am glad that is indeed the case. I hadn't thought of minnow traps...but now that you mention it... Its good to see that the art can appeal to a diverse group, and it is perfectly normal to project a bit of yourself into what you see in an abstract sculpture.

If you are interested, the website for the sculpture tour which highlights all the pieces in the exhibition and their locations is:
http://www.spacessculpturetrail.org


Thanks, ----Michael"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home