Thursday, June 16, 2011

I Finally Have Fundulus DNA Sequences

I just heard from Lance at IXG, of the five DNA extractions I gave him last week he got good sequences on four of them. This is a major break since the Omega extraction kit we've started to use apparently works really well. Each sequence is about 375 base pairs from the cytochrome-b mitochondrial gene, with forward and backward readings along the same stretch. IXG only used the amplifying primer for the sequencing, so we should be able to get the whole gene of 1140 base pairs using several other sequencing primers. The fish that we used are a Fundulus majalis from Charleston, SC, and some F. heteroclitus and F. diaphanus from the MA/RI coast that Tony sent me.

All I can say is, praise Jah it worked!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home