Saturday, July 09, 2011

A Push For Silver Shiners, And Telogia Fundulus DNA Too

I'm going back to the Flint Tuesday afternoon with the Ichthyology class to look for Silver Shiners. We'll take my old 20-foot seine with relatively coarse mesh, and work the flowing pool below the riffle system. The river is fairly low even with rain yesterday so I hope it won't be an heroic effort to find more silvers. We'll probably find something else new to me in the Flint too, at the rate we're going.

I'm ready to start extracting DNA from the Telogia Fundulus fish Charlie and Tony sent me from the Florida panhandle. I have a total of 52 of these fish from 10 or 11 sites, and an extraction kit good for 50, so I'll use most of the kit. I have to keep a few as untouched vouchers. I think the protocols I've worked out with IExpression Genetics for PCR and sequencing will work, I hope to know fairly soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home