Thursday, October 13, 2011

Manuscript Fun, And DNA Ready To Be Sequenced

I submitted our manuscript on driftnet observations in Estill Fork to the journal Hydrobiologia, and they responded with a polite decline. The editor stated a rather odd reason for the decline; that the work suffered from "low taxonomic resolution". We identified and analyzed the collections to taxonomic Order, as has been done in about every other even vaguely similar research project including many in Hydrobiologia. I thought about arguing the point with the editor, but I don't have time to waste exchanging pleasantries with this dude. So, I resubmitted it to Southeastern Naturalist. Hopefully they won't have any similar bouts of cognitive dissonance.

The 81 DNA extractions that I have from various Fundulus fish are now ready to go to Lance's new company, Oblique Genomics, for sequencing. He's going to pick them up tomorrow morning. I've never had a DNA service company offer to do a pick-up. If they all work, I have a lot of work ahead with massaging the sequences and making sense of them within the several projects represented.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home