Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Scarlet Shiner Experimental Design

I've still been moving stuff from our old building to the new one. Yesterday I moved my office phone and computer to my new office, which I suppose makes it official that I've moved. Today I hope to move some furniture like tall metal cabinets, both to the Zoology lab and to Jennifer's office; the grad student offices have almost prison-like furniture that's bolted together, with no bookshelf. So we'll move one over.

I've also inventoried and largely moved my aquarium collection. I have 6 10-gallon aquaria that hold water(!), along with 4 5-gallon, 2 2.5-gallon, 3 20-gallon, 1 55-gallon and 1 130-gallon. The 10-gallon are the most useful for any kind of research project, and I have one in mind: testing the effects of injecting sub-adult scarlet shiners with the fish testosterone 11-KT and seeing if that affects various features of brain size and function. My current experimental design to start next month would be to set up three treatments: control, low 11-Kt and high 11-KT. With the 6 10-gallon tanks I could use two for each treatment, with 8 fish in each tank. I would prefer to have three tanks for each treatment, but I think it will work and be statistically meaningful with two tanks. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get three more tanks? We'll see. A student has agreed to work on this project next semester so I think it will actually get somewhere.

Today is Keith Richards' birthday. Wow, he's still alive!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home