Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Widow Creek Spill Wasn't Too, Too Bad

Luckily for everyone, the TVA was able to plug the gypsum leak from a storage pond at its Widows Creek coal plant on Friday before too much was released. So I didn't rendezvous with Anna George and others on Saturday for a Tennessee River fish survey. It was a near-miss, though. Whether TVA will respond by reinforcing its various waste storage sites is an open question. They've strongly resisted any further limitation on pollution release from their coal burning power plants, so I can't imagine they're truly humbled and ready to stop being arrogant about waste storage. I hope I'm wrong. A pleasant thought; I don't know when vacancies on the TVA Board come up since they're appointed by the President. Will Obama break with the historic practice of appointing upscale good ol' boys to the Board?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home