Monday, March 16, 2009

It's Spring Break!

For all that really matters. I was supposed to meet with Kris today but he isn't feeling well, so we'll meet on Thursday. My last two whitetail shiners were dead when I came in today; I'm not sure if it's me, or if they're harder to keep in aquaria than I'd thought. My super alpha scarlet shiners are all about ready to spawn, which would basically just feed the darters in that tank. I'm not sure what I can do about that.

I'm thinking about doing a Texas trip the first week of May, after the Sea Lab meeting. I want to collect some Fundulus similis from hopefully two sites on the Texas coast. Ruth and I haven't ever really been to that coast, so hopefully it would be fun to see someplace different. I don't think that any decent sandy beaches exist west of Pass Christian, Mississippi, until you get well into Texas since Louisiana is all bayou which makes coastal collecting tough. But, maybe I'm wrong. This is all part of my other long-term project to compare the mtDNA of F. similis and F. majalis from Cape Cod, MA, down to wherever I can get in Tejas. Getting the new, improved version of Geneious for analyzing sequences might be the last missing piece of the puzzle for me. At least I hope so!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home