Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Various busy-nesses

It's been almost a week since I updated here. I sent my revised flame chub manuscript back to the editor on Friday, I think I addressed all of the reviewers' concerns (most of which I agreed with and thought were good suggestions). And I received a list of editorial queries from the editor of the black darter paper, which I have to sit down with again in the near future. But even more immediately I have to finish a review of a manuscript for another Southeastern Naturalist editor. I received it two days before the shooting, read it the day before, thought it pretty good and was prepared to write that, and then everything was of course thrown off track for the last month. So I have an extension for that review to next Wednesday instead of tomorrow, and have to get myself in gear to do it.

Brittany has pretty much assembled a poster for the Alabama Academy of Science meeting next Wednesday. We have a good data set with the first seven months' worth of driftnet data, so we can tell a good story. We're still working on exactly what does it mean; basically I think what we've found is that the community of macroinverts is in general stable, but every other month or so one or more groups largely expands or contracts in number. This isn't a big surprise, of course, but the patterns are interesting, like the Ephemeroptera tending to vary as do pH and alkalinity as physical parameters (shown in Principal Component Analysis, PCA). It's real biology, what can I say?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home