Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Looks Like It's On To Panama In May

I heard from the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute in Panama today. They've accepted my research proposal to check out Bishop's Livebearer for gill parasites. So, now I have to firm up the details like the exact dates, housing arrangements, lab access, hopefully using their 4WD vehicles for field work, ... Last week I started the process on campus of getting approvals to spend the money for travel. A whole string of people have to sign off and approve me using allocated money for travel. I don't think anyone has a problem with it, but universities are nothing if not bureaucratic.

I did the systematics exercise in Vertebrate Zoology today. Groups of students received 8 different fish species, and looking at various external physical traits had to create a character matrix and use it to construct a cladogram to represent similarity, and presumed common ancestry. I used some local species for it from our preserved fish collection, including stonerollers, scarlet shiners, bluegills, gar, paddlefish and sturgeon. The odd thought is that I'm the only one in our department who routinely does this kind of thing, a core part of describing and understanding biodiversity (one other faculty member at least touches on this). It's a fun exercise because there's no easy, obvious answer and everyone has to think about it. I pointed out to them that biology in particular, and science in general, is one long argument so they should certainly debate any presented outcomes.

5 Comments:

At 7:14 PM, Blogger Andrew Adrian said...

Congrats on the research proposal!
We have Sunshine Van Bael, a fellow from the STRI in Panama interviewing here tomorrow for an upper level faculty position. I'm set to eat lunch with her and talk about her work with leafcutter ants and their fungal gardens.

That particular exercise was really good at proving your point. James and I had a good handle on what all of the fish were that were provided, but still had a hard time grouping them appropriately. I might have to steal this particular exercise one of these days. It clearly brings together a lot of issues in biology in a rather fascinating way.

 
At 6:07 AM, Blogger Bruce Stallsmith said...

Yeah, it used to be a standard biology exercise but now it's limited to upper level courses. To do it right we could ask people to look at pharyngeal jaws, count fin rays, etc. Ask Sunshine what facility at STRI she works at; I'll be based out of Ancon, the Tupper labs.

 
At 6:08 AM, Blogger Bruce Stallsmith said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger JKB1957 said...

I have made five trips to Panama, the last four as part of a study to determine the distribution of various Brachyrhaphis and Rivulus species in Panama. Having worked with STRI, and covered many a mile in Panama, I would be happy to offer any assistance regarding logistics and collecting locations for your target species.
Yours,
John Boylan
jkboylan@att.net

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger K. M. Million said...

That was real mean of you to put gar, paddlefish, AND sturgeon into the same exercise. That being said, I will never forget the shit-eating grin that broke across your face when I was the *only* student that drew out *two* possible phylogenetic hypotheses on the chalkboard. The others in my group were too scared to draw them. You clearly knew I was about to fall down a very deep rabbit hole... I can't thank you enough.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home