Sunday, April 08, 2012

On To Parasite DNA!

I'm meeting with Luciano and Kara tomorrow afternoon. Kara has agreed to go over the darters we caught 10 days ago and pull off individual dactylogyrids and put them in small tubes of enzyme digest, the first step in isolating DNA. Luciano and I, but especially Luciano, have figured out the genes to target for sequencing in both the parasites and the host to see what kind of complementary phylogenetic trees may or may not exist. Hopefully we can get DNA from parasites of tennessee snubs, rainbow, stripetail and redline darters along with host DNA as a pilot project. I realize we could start working with some of the Panamanian Brachyrhaphis I brought back last year. I'm excited, this is at once real biology and fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home