Monday, March 10, 2008

Tallapoosa Fishes That We Found

I sat down with James on Friday and we looked more closely at the fishes we caught in Emuckfaw Creek in Tallapoosa County. Most of the darters that we caught were Rock darters, Etheostoma rupestre (~6). The habitat we found them in is about right, rapids just above the Fall line, although I haven't found other references to finding them in this stretch of the Tallapoosa drainage. The ~45 shiners we kept were about equally split between Tallapoosa shiners, Cyprinella gibbsi, Silverstripe shiners, Notropis stilbius, and Pretty shiners, Lythrurus bellus. So these are all interesting and different to me after all of my Tennessee drainage trips of late.

I still have to get official training from the university so I can access my grant money. But I can't do it tomorrow as I had registered, since the Vertebrate Zoology class is reversed and I have to lecture 3-4, instead of 12:45-2 as usual. So hopefully after spring break I can finally do this once and for all. Universities are nothing if not insanely bureaucratic.

Does anyone have a spare UV-band spectrophotometer they'd like to give up to a deserving research lab? I'd like to help you, if so. Let me know!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home