Friday, January 30, 2009

Back Out To Estill Fork Tomorrow

We'll be going out to Estill Fork tomorrow to collect telescope (and scarlet?) shiners. The weather is moderating, so it should be sunny and in the low 50s F. Even so, I suspect that we'll appreciate being in insulated waders. I might also try to set up my drift net, a PVC frame holding a fine-mesh net made of organza silk. It's a passive way to sample whatever is being swept downstream such as ichthyoplankton and insects. As long as I have two tent stakes to anchor it in the substrate we may give it a whirl.

Now that I'm back on polishing the flame chub paper, Kevin came by today to talk about what maps we need for the article. He set up the maps a while back, so hopefully it will be easy to tweak them for journal format. Our plan is to have one map showing all of the historic collection sites for flame chubs in north Alabama, and a map each of Lauderdale County and Madison County showing where we did and did not find flame chubs. Hopefully the editor and reviewers will agree with my decision.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home