Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Good News, Bad News On Bifax Sequencing

I talked to Phil Harris from UA Tuscaloosa today. They tried to sequence our stippled studfish DNA, but it didn't work. Their determination was that the extractions themselves are OK, but the sequencing primers we gave them aren't any good. The latter is the relatively minor bad news. I bought them last November from our local supplier, whose reputation has been going bad for a while. I ordered a new set of primers today from a place in San Diego recommended by Phil, IDT. For a total of $33 I'll get the primers next week, and ship them in lyophilized (dry) form to Tuscaloosa for them to resuspend. So there's hope. I was afraid our purified amplifications wouldn't be good, which is a deeper problem. So if it all works just with getting quality primers I'm happy, and also grateful to Phil's group.

We still hope to get out to Estill Fork Friday afternoon, it hasn't rained since Monday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home