Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Another Sequence, And I've Finally Begun The Telogia Fish

I stitched together a second cytochrome-b gene last night, all 1140 bases, from a mummichog from Oyster Pond in Falmouth, MA, on the Cape. It differs by only one base from a mummichog from Maine whose sequence I have. I also have sequence data from a mummichog from Rhode Island that I'll do next, I'm curious to see if it's more different from the Maine fish.

And I finally started today for real on setting up the fish from the Telogia collection for sequencing. I'm pulling out a few fish from each of the 10 locations we have, measuring them, giving them a name like TCR1, and each fish gets its own screw-cap test tube with 95% ethanol until I cut off a small piece for DNA. We'll see how the cyt-b sequences turn out on these fish, hopefully sooner than later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home